terça-feira, 23 de outubro de 2007

New Activities

Along with the whole roommate bonding thing, we decided to finally be brave and signed up for a capoeira class that meets 3m a week for a month. I was really scared to try it, especially after my roommate Dalmira was telling me that everyone int he class looked really advanced.. But we tried it out. and.....
I liked it!!!! haha.
So I am sure many of you are asking, what the hell is capoeira? Capoeira is a Brasilian martial art.. but I would describe it more as a dance or a game. In Portuguese, you say you play capoeira, because it is really an interaction between two people doing different moves, kicks, cartwheels and acrobatics that resemble a fight. While they play, the rest of the group surrounds the two, and sings and plays music. There really is a whole capoeira culture, and only by going to one lesson you could tell everyone in the group was welcoming, friendly, and like family to one another. Although I was scared shitless, I even took a mini turn in the roda (the circle) and pretended to do two things before running out. I also surprised myself by finding out I could still do a cartwheel!! Amazing since the last time I did one I must have been no more than 12 years old.
So the class was great. We started off by running a few laps, then doing about 19 gazillion jumping jacks, then practicing the kicks and sweeps. Then we broke off into two groups, the beginners and the advanced, and we tried some other moves I was not good at at all haha. I didn't learn any of the names of the moves either, (I would have been too tired and sucking for air to remember them anyway) but it was seriously an amazing workout. Today crawling out of bed was one of the hardest things, haha. Climbing the stairs today has also been quite painful, and it's only going to get worse tomorrow! So even after I made a big fuss about it, I am really glad I went. :) And I know people like Kelly who has been telling me to do it since forever are sitting there like, Ha! told you so!! So thanks, I am looking forward to learning more now!

And to finish with some crazy brasilians showing off some crazy capoeira moves ;)

2 comentários:

Maria Jose Ojeda disse...

estas en clases de capoheira?? wow que loquita... es lindoooo

Unknown disse...

you haven't done a cartwheel since you were 12?! hmm I refuse to believe that ;) although, they have gotten a lot harder to do since then