quinta-feira, 11 de outubro de 2007

Weekend 4 Barcelona Trip

Well this past weekend I headed over to see Barcelona and visit friends from Argentina, my Peruvian roommate Rocío (Chio) and her boyfriend Samú. It was a long weekend due to a Portuguese holiday on Friday (something to do with the Portuguese Constitution or proclaiming the republic, I couldn't tell you for sure) and then Monday was an American holiday, so we had an amazing four day weekend. [Major perk of the embassy- celebrating two country's holidays!] So anyway, I flew out there on Friday evening and spent three days exploring the city. My friends live about 40 minutes outside of Barcelona in a nice little town called Terrassa. The weather was beautiful; I got to see all the sights, walked and walked and walked, and even enjoyed some fam time!


So some highlights:

I bravely ate caracoles, or SNAILS, for the first time. I'm sure you're thinking "SICK! GROSS! WHY!!?!?" But apparently a lot of people eat them and actually enjoy them- I know that in Portugal they are very popular, but I didn't plan on actually trying them anytime soon. So when we went and had some tapas for lunch, one of the main attractions, along with mussels, some weird tubelike seacreature thing, we also had snails in this pot of sauce. So the verdict??
...





Surprisingly, they were deliiicious!! and probably my favorite thing we had ordered that day. Hahaha, who would have thought. I think the best part was the sauce they came in though.







As I'm sure you know, Barcelona is big on modernisme architect Antoni Gaudí, and I got to see most of his amazing works throughout the city. We explored Parc Güell, a huge park where his house is located, and has all kinds of other of his pieces, from mosaic sculptures and winding roads to special terrace walls and buildings. It was quite a hike up to the Park, its upon this big hill that overlooks the entire city. After exploring we went to this lookout at the very top and watched the city light up and come to life as it grew dark. We also went to see the Sagrada Família, which is simply amazing. As you walk throughout the huuuuge basilica, all I could wonder was seriously what kind of drugs this guy was on. He had an imagination like no one else. Every single detail had been planned, tested, redesigned, attended to. You could see the various stages of the work being done to the cathedral, which isn't projected to be complete for another 50 years or so! Incredible. Workers were busy constructing away as hundreds of tourists milled around taking pictures with our necks permanently crooked toward the ceiling.
I went to a family asado (bbq) with Samu's family. There ended up being at least 20 people, with the families of the novios of Samu's brother and sister, ranging from about 5 to 91. Samu's Dad is from Argentina and grilled up some AMAZINGGGG chorizo, ribs, chicken, morcilla, and more chorizo with lots of bread, salad, veggies, coffee and fruit for dessert. I was in heaven. We ate and ate, played card games, chatted, ate some more, and had a lovely afternoon out in the countryside.
On Monday Chio had to go to class all day, and Samu had a class in the morning, so I went with him and checked my email, etc at his University. We then headed into town to do more sightseeing, checking out all the shit for Barce's 1992 Olympic games.

I also got to tour the Palau de la Música Catalana, of which unfortunately you can't take pictures. BUT.. it was really really beautiful building, with intricate design, great acoustics, and a great history. Also in the modernisme Catalan style of architecture built NOT by Guadí but by some guy names Montaner. Inside is simply amazing, there is this huge stained glass ceiling with this waterdroplet shapped sun thing coming down.

So I sadly had to leave bight and early.. or more rather early and DARK, on Tuesday morning. I had to be at the airport at 515 Barcelona time to make my flight and make it to work in Lisbon by 8am. Puke. Luckily I made it, and didn't have my luggage lost or anything. Super weekend!

Some pics I like:
[AND Check out the rest of the pics with the Barcelona link there on the right.!!!! ]


arc de triomf

a teeny tiny street

the outside of the church that people reserve 10 years in advance for their weddings. no joke!

a view of Barcelona

the backside of the Sagrada Família

3 comentários:

Unknown disse...

siiigh.. yet another adventure I wish I could have embarked on with you ;)

Anônimo disse...

you are sooooo photogenic!

salees disse...

I love Gaudi...I really want to see his work in person!