sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2007

Adventures in Lisboa Day 2!

Today I ventured out into the wild that is Lisbon. All alone, and without a net! but with my trusty map.

I first took the subway to the Embassy to pick up an ethernet cord so I can connect to the internet in the apt rather than hanging half way out the window to pick up some shitty signal (although that served its purpose for the time being I suppose). It took me about 45 minutes to get there from walking, then metro, then walking and such. So that commute is going to le SUCK.. but I suppose it's manageable.

I then decided to that following one of the recommended walking tours of the city from one of my silly guidebooks sounded like a superb solo plan. I abbreviated it a little, but had a great time and got to see some of the wonderfulness that is Lisboa.

I first took the metro (from the embassy) to Praça do Restaurdores, one of the main squares. I decided to get some food at this point, because really no good reason to start out a voyage hungry and cranky. It was my first time venturing out to eat alone, something I don't really like doing. But, I had to do the whole 'seize the day' thing so I found a nice outdoor cafe on the side of the praça and got some chow.

Funny story here:
So I tried to order in my broken and Brazilian Portuguese (more on the horrendous accent that I can't understand another time). I got a bottle of water, sem gas (still, regular h20; whenever going abroad you have to remember to mention you don't want sparkling water, unless you do I suppose... but anyway). The waiter seemed to have no problem with this and brought it out, and then I asked for a menu.
Only I forgot the Portuguese word for menu and just blurted out "pode ser a carta??"(My true Argentine comes out!!) At this the waiter kind of gave me a funny look then brought it, and asked me in Spanish if I was really form Spain. I told him no, and he was like (in his portanhol), "OH! Where are you form then!? I didn't think you looked Spanish". So I reluctantly told him I hailed from Estados Unidos. At this he says, in perfect english I might add, "then why don't you just speak English!"
Hahahaah, it was quite funny. We both had a good laugh. Anyway, from this point on, he talked to me in English, so I felt better. He also told me I almost had him fooled with my Spanish, that it was good but I just didn't look the part. Shucks. Anyway, Mauro the waiter became my first friend and recommended me this duck and rice dish with sausage on top... (talk about heart attack) saying it was very typical and delicious.
And it was pretty tasty I must admit. I decided not to take a pic- I figured eating alone and being a fool was bad enough without bringing more attention to myself by snapping pictures of food- and I only managed to eat half of it, ( so I haven't been eating much with all the commotion going on with traveling and getting settled, etc), to which Mauro felt I was insulting him. He seemed to get over it when I told him we could go eat some other time.

So moving on, I walked to the Rossio, the MAIN praça, and down this pedestrian street full of shops to the Praça do Comericial, which I snapped some awesome pics of. It was right on the water, old architecture, great view, cool breeze. From here, I walked up some old cobbled stone roads to the Sé, or the old Cathedral. From there I took some more steep hills up to the Miradouro de San Luiza, which had an amazing view over the Rio Tejo. After some more hills, I made it to Lisbon's highest peak, where the Castelo de São Jorge sits. I took in some more views, tried to stop sweating for like 5 seconds, and explored the old castle. See pics below.

After this I headed back to the metro to go meet one of my Aunt Pam's friends, Catia, and her husband Duarte. Duarte and I went to pick up their son, Tiago, from preschool. Both Catia and Duarte speak amazing English and tried to help me out but Tiago wasn't having much of it. He kept insisting that I speak Portuguese because we all speak Portuguese so I had to, too. He obviously was much more skilled than I and didn't understand me when I tried to say things- he definitely gave me some funny looks. Yes, a three year old judged me but that's okay. He also knew some English- like hi how are you! and ice cream! But was reluctant to try it out with me. Also funny, this three year old loves Russian/Turkish/Arabic music and refuses to listen to much else in the car. It's really too funny. So the three of us headed out of Lisbon to the suburbs of Sintra, where they live in an amazing gated community with its own health club, a couple different pools, and a pretty great golf course (Dad!). Catia met us there and while Tiago and Duarte headed to swimming lessons, swim cap and all, Catia and I walked back to their apartment and started cooking dinner.
It was the greatest evening because I was feeling so lonely here without knowing a single person. This family was so welcoming and fun and interesting! We had a delicious dinner of basmati rice with chicken and veggies cooked in coconut milk followed by ice cream and fresh fruit. I was a happy camper for sure. I got to learn more about Portuguese people and started to feel better about being here..

So things are improving. I didn't blog about my first day because I was a wreck but I think things are going to be amazing once I know people and have things to do. It's always like that isn't it! I am so not good at transitions.

I will also blog about my difficulties and things i've noticed thus far. But it's already 130 here and I should prolly sleep so I can do something productive tomorrow, like go to Caiscais or Belém. We'll see.

Oh and since I have real internet now here are some pics:

In my neighborgood of Santos (the emerging design district) a neat street.


The Rossio, main square.


Praça de Comercio (with the trams, or eléctricos)


The entrance to the Castelo


Hibiscus in the Castelo

Castle walls

the Sé


View of Lisboa from atop of the castelo

Um comentário:

Unknown disse...

oh poonie!!! i miss thee!!! mreh! but it sounds like you are having an amazing time and i cant wait to read more! yeah!!!