domingo, 23 de setembro de 2007

Weekend 2

So my internet decided that it wanted to stop working for some unknown reason. I tried everything I could think of, rebooted the computer, ran diagnostics, rebooted the modem, unplugged it for about a day, unplugged everything, including the cable, replugged everything... alas all to no avail. so we randomly found this signal that turns on for about a half hour around this time (hahaha so ghetto!) and we don't have to hang out of the window too much. But I am quite pissed. I tried calling some help number but it was disconnected (of course) and then I realized I have no clue about any of our account information... So I am going to have to bitch to someone tomorrow at work and get this in order!

This weekend has been fun- on Friday we went out dancing with people at work and to celebrate the despidida of this woman Inga, who is headed off to live in a trailer in the middle of Egypt somewhere. (Sounds liek a fun post, eh!?!?) So it was fun but also strange. I am definitely the youngest person, with the Marines being the second youngest so it's quite different from going out with my own friends and such.... We have also done some exploring in different places in Lisboa. Today we decided to venture to the beach and it was BEAUTIFUL. I will post pics soon, but don't want to waste my precious Internet time fussing with them for now.

This upcoming week is starting off busy- the embassy is hosting some hospitality seminar to promote tourism in which all the public affairs office is scrambling around like crazy trying to get things in order. Being interns, we have the pleasure of tagging along and trying to make sure things get done promptly, people have rides, pay and are sitting in the right seats, and basically playing bitch to whoever needs anything (ahh the life of an intern, gotta love it). I also have a Portuguese lesson after all this hospitality fuss.

This weekend we found a quaint little place to eat dinner in Bairro Alto where they had some live Fado singers. Fado is.. interesting. I think I want to attend another show at one of the more flashy touristy places- this week I think I will be doing that with Joni (my Portuguese friend) and her boyfriend who will be visiting from England. We have also been exploring, and walking everyyywheree, which I love and is really a great workout, especially with all these hills here and the cobblestone streets.

In other news... Hmm, I got nothing. I am itching to go shopping for fall clothes and maybe some more work outfits... and there seems to be a Zara around every corner tempting me!!! My roommate and I also spent a good amount of time perusing H&M and were finally kicked out by the security guard (for the store had closed 20 minutes ago apparently) and left empty handed. I'm sure that won't last too much longer though. But I have to realize this isn't vacation! Til now it has felt like a big fun vacation and I have been spending more money than I should... but I suppose c'est la vie.. right??

One thing I have noticed: many of the girls here will have this one long braid/dreadlocks hanging out from the bottom of their hair. .. when I first saw one I was like hmm... cute?? But I continue to see various girls with cute normal hair.. but a ratty tail hanging down the back... also in hair the mullet has officially died for the most part here. When I was in spain you couldn't get away from the euromullet!!!!! But now... *Tear.
UPDATE: **** A note about the dreadlock a.k.a. rasta- apparently you can BUY these things and they are all the rage now in Europe. I might have to check it out!! hahah [This is all according to my Lisboeta friend Joni].

Well, you should all pray that I can get my internet up and running soon at the apartment.. thanks! Hope all is well for everyone... This upcoming weekend we are thinking about taking a daytrip to neighboring Sintra, which I have heard is beautiful. More about that and other thimngs soon! beijinhos

2 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

What out for those marines!

xoxo

Unknown disse...

like I said... kip can take that song and shove it!