quarta-feira, 12 de setembro de 2007

Frankfurt Airport 9/11/07

So I am in Germany and have no idea what time it is… I think it’s like 12pm local time? I am pulling that out of my ass though. I set my computer to have Albuquerque time (4:13 am) and Lisboa time (11:13am) and I figure it’s probably an hour later than that… meanwhile my internal clock is running on I-don’t-know-what-fucking-time-it-is-but-why-am-I-not-sleeping time. Phew. So obvio the time changes are screwing with my head and apparently my flight is 35 minutes late but I don’t have any inkling as to why, as I don’t speak German and there isn’t really anyone (near me) to ask. So I just parked it near a flight screen, hoping that it will tell me what gate I’m actually supposed to be at and hoping that this gate isn’t too far away. Otherwise, I might just be spending some time in lovely Frankfurt! Baha…

Some thoughts on the Frankfurt Airport:

Very clean and orderly. But I suppose that is a given, since I am in Germany.

There are some random people riding around on bikes in the terminal. I can’t tell what’s going on, but they seem semi official but to be having a dandy time cruising through the marble corridor. I saw some bikes just hanging out unmonitored and was quite tempted to hop on myself.

I shouldn’t be wearing flip flops. For one, it’s kind of cold here. And for two, it’s pretty much unwritten law that it is totally unacceptable to be wearing flip flops unless on a beach. Of course I knew this, as Europeans aren’t really seen in anything other than trendy euro shoes, but I couldn’t be bothered to find socks and put shoes (let alone heels!) onto my digusto New York street grit feet. (YUM!!!) Instead I opted for my beloved Rainbows which are so wonderfully worn in and perfect but probably not the best looking pair in the bunch. Whatever, at least they are leather.

Other than the flops I suppose I could pass as German, although I don’t think I have the funky euro vibe (at least not as hardcore).

I love how everyone here speaks various languages, or at least 2. And speaks them well, too. Yet another area in which the US is lacking… but that’s another topic. So I am sititng here waiting for some Portuguese people to show up so I can try to listen and practice. Eek. Scared. So far it all sounds like German (or something???) Except the random Bolivian man who just asked me to help him find his flight. How he knew I spoke Spanish or understood him beats the hell out of me!!! But ahh, a language I know!!! I hope the Portuguese comes algon as well as my Spanish has.

Speaking of which, I tried learning some German:

Flug is flight!
Luf is air! (Lufthansa, the airline I am flying, means air transport or something, bahah)
Ausgang is exit!!
Lissabon is the german spelling of Lisboa/Lisbon!
And everything else is written in italics below its German equivalent.


So I desperately want to shower. And nap, but it’ll probably be better to just get used to the damn time change (mountain time plus 7). I am bored and just ready to be there already. I am pretty upset as well that my new hp apparently doesn’t automatically come with solitaire suite. What kind of shit is that? I don’t play very often but when I can’t get internet to waste time I could at least be kicking ass at spider solitaire. Sigh.

Um comentário:

Anônimo disse...

If someone says, Du bist ein esel, say, "danke dumkopf."